Effective Date: January 11, 2001
Expiration Date: January 11, 2015
It is NASA policy to grant exemptions from mandatory use of the Government contractor-issued travel charge card in accordance with the Office of Governmentwide Policy, General Services Administration (GSA) contained in 41 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) referenced in paragraph 4.a. The Federal Travel Regulation (FTR), Section 301-51.2, lists official travel expenses and/or classes of employees exempt by the Administrator of GSA from mandatory use of the Government contractor-issued travel charge card. This NPD delegates the NASA Administrator's authority to grant other exemptions from the mandatory use of the Government contractor-issued travel charge card to the Agency's Chief Financial Officer.
The official to whom authority is delegated will ensure that feedback is provided through official channels to keep the NASA Administrator informed of significant actions, problems, or other matters of substance related to this exercise of the authority delegated hereunder.
This NPD is applicable to NASA Headquarters and NASA Centers, including Component Facilities.
a. 5 U.S.C. 5701 note, Section 2, Requiring Use of Travel Charge Card, of P.L. 105-264, Travel and Transportation Act of 1998.
b. 42 U.S.C. 2473 (c)(1) Section 203(c)(1) of the National Aeronautics and Space Act of 1958, as amended.
a. 41 CFR Sections 301-51.1 - 301-51.7 and 301-70.700 - 301-70.707.
b. NASA Procedural Requirement (NPR) 9700.1, Travel.
a. The Agency's Chief Financial Officer (for exemptions of Agency employees) and the Inspector General (for exemptions of OIG employees only) are responsible for the following:
(1) Ensuring compliance with the provisions of the U.S. Code referenced in paragraphs 3.a and b., the GSA regulation referenced in paragraph 4.a. and the Agency's policy referenced in paragraph 4.b. of this NPD.
(2) Ensuring coordination of requests for exemptions with the Office of the General Counsel and the Office of Human Capital Management.
(3) Reporting approved exemptions from mandatory use of the travel charge card in accordance with the provisions of FMM 9700, NASA Federal Travel Regulation Supplement.
b. The Associate Administrator for Mission Support Directorate (for exemptions originating at Headquarters), and each Center Director (for exemptions originating at the Center), shall be responsible for the following:
(1) Submitting proposed exemptions for employees to the Agency's Chief Financial Officer for consideration.
(2) Prior to submitting proposed exemptions, determining that the proposed exemption is necessary in the interest of the Agency.
a. The Agency's Chief Financial Officer (for exemptions of Agency employees) and the NASA Inspector General (for exemptions of OIG employees) are delegated the authority to grant exemptions from the mandatory use of the Government contractor-issued travel charge card as permitted under P.L.105-264, Section 2, Requiring Use of the Travel Charge Card.
b. The authority delegated in paragraph 6.a. may be re-delegated to not more than one immediate subordinate official who reports directly to the Agency's Chief Financial Officer or the Inspector General without further power of re-delegation. Such a re-delegation will identify, by position, the subordinate official.
NPD 9741.1, Delegation of Authority-To Grant Exemptions from the Mandatory Use of the Government Contractor-Issued Travel Card, dated November 11, 2010.